Even in the 19th century, the Russischer Hof was the place for artists such as musicians and poets to meet regularly. In recent years, though, many scientists and politicians have been our guests, in addition to artists.
Our prominent historic guests include:
- Czar Alexander I., the Russian emperor
- Hoffmann von Fallersleben, German linguist, poet and writer of the "Lied der Deutschen"
- Eduard Franz Genast, singer, actor, composer and director
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Weimar's classic poet laureate
- Franz Liszt, the great pianist, composer and director
- Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna, sister of Czar Alexander I and wife of Grand Duke Carl Friedrich
- Ernst Rietschel, sculptor and creator of the Goethe-Schiller monument outside the National-Theatre
- Clara and Robert Schumann, husband-and-wife pianists and composers
- Rudolf Steiner, philosopher and founder of anthroposophy
- Theodor Storm, the great German writer
- Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev, the famous Russian writer
- Richard Wagner, famous composer and dramatist as well as musical and stage director
- Giacomo Meyerbeer, opera composer